Friday, October 10, 2008

Capital City Adventure Challenge

This was a fabulous summer!! A big squeeze to Derek for supporting me in my passion...Adventure Racing and Off Road Triathlons! I started off the season with the MAD Race (Moraine Adventure Dash) at Moraine State Park. In August I raced in the NORTH (Nemacolin Off Road Triathlon and Hammerfest). Then I ended the season with "the Big One", the Capital City Adventure Challenge. This race is done in teams of three. We Ran, Swam, Canoed & Mountain biked all the while completing special challenges (heaving ourselves over logs suspended 8ft high, running buckets of water from the Susquehanna to higher ground, sawing logs, swimming in freezing water with all our gear on, rope laddering, and several balancing acts!) We rocked Harrisburg coming in third place in the All-Female Division. Way to go Herbert's Hotties!!





I think we often miss opportunities to thank the people that inspire and teach us along the way. I was thinking of all the people who inspired, taught and assisted me along this path.

Derek- Thank you for being my running coach, you enabled me to push pass my mental limits.
Kami Banks - For believing that I could actually run farther than 5 miles...you are a true inspiration, showing me that it is possible to do tri's while being a mom of three!!
Chad Thorton- For introducing me and Derek to Off Road Triathlons.
Kathy (my boss at the Glendale YMCA)- For saying. "I see you becoming a triathlete someday", those words gave me a vision.
Kelly Mayes- For doing my first race with me (Splash and Dash at Tempe Town lake), I'll never forget running into that Habu (dust storm), and mounting that hairy man in the water!!
That Hairy Man- For being slower than me so I didn't come in last place!!!
Erika Groves- For teaching me how to swim. Your words still ring in my ears every time I swim, "Grab the water damn it!!"
Felix- For being my personal bike tuner.
Ligia De Los Santos and Jen White- For watching my kids so I could race.
Kenyon, Damon and Selah- For being my biggest little fans.
My Parents for being my biggest long distance fans.
Tracy Ritter, Katie Willsey, Tara Jensen, and Stacy Potter- For training and racing with me this season...you are awesome!!


5 comments:

Kami Banks said...

Hilary, I am so glad you went public!:) I have been hoping to see a blog from you one of these days. Congrats on your races. There is just something about racing. I just love going out and racing and seeing how hard you can push your body.You rock. Thanks for your kind word, but I think it is the other way around. You are an inspiration to me, because you can do triathlon, and stay on top of everything else. I always loved talking to you about all you new and good ideas on mothering and organizing.

It was super fun getting all caught up on you guys. I am happy I can follow what you guys are up too. Loves and Hugs Kami

jefferies said...

You are mega awesome Hilary! Congrats on your races. We are glad to join your family in bloggerland. Maybe some day we can actually hang out again in person.
xoxo!

J.L.White said...

Too bad you don't want to hit the road on the half marathon with me next week! I was really looking forward to it!! LOL

Mike and Kelly said...

Okay, I am all ears on how you have 3 kids and train for races. I don't know if I ever will race, but I would love to train at least. How do you do it?

Cheryl said...

Wow. I am so impressed. I just got the email that led me here. I am so glad you have a blog. We have one as well... dougandcheryl.blogspot.com.
Seriously, a triathlon.... that is so awesome. Way to go.