Monday, March 23, 2009

Zen Journey

Some notes from this weeks suggestion (asking yourself, "What's not wrong?"

One of my boys was having a hard evening. After some disappointment he exclaimed, "this is the worst day ever!" I told him to get a piece of paper and write down 10 things that are not wrong with today. He returned with a list, it looked like this: 1-Nothing, 2-Nothing, 3-Nothing, 4-Nothing, 5-Nothing, 6-Nothing, 7-Nothing, 8-Nothing, 9-Nothing, 10-Nothing. After some discussion he tried again and came back with an outstanding list. I knew it was in him, he just needed some provoking to bring it out. I sometimes need some provoking too. It would probably do me some good to make a list now and then. Before the next suggestion (probably tomorrow), make a list of ten things that are not wrong with today. It will feel good. Here's mine: 1- The sun is shining, 2- My children are playing happily, 3- I am helping a friend with her child so she can get some R&R...service always feels good, 4- I met with my PT client Angie this morning, she is always a source of joy, 5- I have plenty of food to feed my children, 6- I am healthy, 7- I have a mountain of laundry to fold, which means we have plenty of clothes, 8- I have some great music to listen to while I clean, 9- We are going to Skype with my parents tonight, 10- The birds are back in our maple trees....spring is here!!

5 comments:

margie said...

I loved your entry (esp. that one thing not wrong was you were going to skype with your parents!!!) So here is my list -right off the top of my head. 1. My dad's test results are all coming back good, 2-I get to work with kids again today 3-I am often the first person a child comes to for a hug when they are feeling down 4-I have a great friend and work out partner 5-I have so much food, I have to worry about what NOT to eat 6-We got lots of snow and rain today so we will have water this summer 7-The cute things my grandchildren say have had me smiling all morning 8-I am ahead of the game at work 9-I am healthy 10 - My children are all doing well

Tori and Steve said...

I want to hear Kenyon's list!

Hilary said...

Here is Kenyon's list...had to fetch it out of the garbage. 1- Sweet stuff, 2- Dad played with me, 3- Soccer, 4- Star Wars, 5- Selah a Story, 6- Selah played with us, 7- Me and Dad, 8- Drinks, 9- Yummy medicine, 10- Sleep with this.

Now I want to hear yours Tor!

J.L.White said...

Here's mine (hopefully this helps my day)1)Although few, I have great friends 2) I hear puppy snores coming from beside me and it makes me smile 3)My boys are out hiking and enjoying the beautiful outdoors 4)my freezer and cupboards are PACKED (no one's hungry here) 5) seeing my children learning new things makes me smile and feel good 6) I complained about having to clean the other day - but at least I have a house to clean 7) Having a job in this terrible economic time 8)had my husband home today 9)had a lesson in colors with Joey, while sharing some jelly beans..yummy lesson 10)I have a nice warm bed to sleep in and it is calling my name!

Keep your zenful insight coming!

Tori and Steve said...

Well, here's my list, not necessarily in order of most important, 1- I went grocery shopping today which means I have plenty of food to feed my family, 2- My house is mostly clean, 3-I have hot water to take a nice relaxing bath, 4-my children have not been whinny today, 5- I have lots of friends who I keep up with on my blog and I know any of them would do anything for me (if you are reading this and disagree, you can just leave me a comment!), 6- I have a beautiful, healthy baby boy growing inside of me who I get to meet in just 2 months!, 7- I have two healthy and strong children, 8-I have a warm bed with lots of pillows and blankets to keep me comfy while I try to sleep with a huge tummy, 9- I have a cold Diet Coke waiting for me right now in the fridge, 10- and most of all, I have a wonderful husband who loves me to death and supports me in all I do!