What happens when a vegetarian hostess invites central PA locals over for Thanksgiving dinner? My family is left wondering...where's the turkey?
Hil's Tofurkey vs. Hog "Wash" AKA: Pigs stomach
Thanksgiving started off beautifully with a nice run and Derek's annual Turkey Bowl. It also ended beautifully with a fabulous pumpkin roll, pumpkin pie and a competitive game of Nerts. But what happened in the middle was a vegetarian's nightmare!! First my tofurkey was terrible!! I guess that is what happens when you try to recreate a bird out of bean curd. Second, I had to endure torture as I was taught the process of making an Amish classic, Hog Maw. See for yourselves:

This was my reaction when the Hog Maw was first unveiled.

We love you White Family. We hope to see you and your pig stomach again next year!! As for myself, I suppose Thanksgiving will continue to be a day of side dishes.




6 comments:
Hog Maw won sista!! Love you Johnson people!
Ug...they both sound pretty rank! Actually we had some tofurky on the menu this year and it wasn't terrible. We might do it again next year.
Hi Family,
Looks like a good time was had by all despite the turkey. Who cares about food when good friends and family are around. Love ya, Mom
Ack. I am not one of those people that is good at unfamiliar foods.. so both the tofurkey and hog maw look pretty nasty to me but I have to say especially the hog maw. This may have something to do with the fact that I hate the look, smell, feel of raw meat and those pictures made me squeemish.
So proud of you Hilary!
at least that pumpkin roll looks really good
Post a Comment